21 August 2009

Disposable Products

Don't you hate when a product lasts a really long time? It was terrible growing up in the 80's and 90's when you or your parents bought a product and it delivered years of dependable service day-after-day. I grew weary of paying a lot of money for something, and then knowing it would just last me a really long time, so that after years of dependable service, I would be heartbroken, having gotten used to it actually working over the past 5 or 20 years, and now I would have to buy a new one.

No really, this is depressing because now I know whatever I buy as a replacement will break in less than a year. The warranties actually reflect this:

"How much is this TV? $900? What's the warranty? 90 days? Extended warranty? $600?"

Why not just make a better TV with a slightly higher price tag? You would expect the more expensive TV to last longer right? Wrong! The $3000 TV is subject to the same scam.

It seems everything manufactured lately is subject to the same problem. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of good reliable products on the market, it's just getting hard to find them. You filter through brand after brand and model after model researching review after review and design after design to find one that works well, and why? To find the one that won't break so fast.

Consumers are frustrated by spending money on something, getting to like it and appreciating it in your home, then shortly thereafter having to replace it or deal with warranty service or whatever other nightmare results. Where small ticket items are just a let down, bigger ticket items like appliances, home entertainment, and vehicles, well they just suck when you need to deal with problematic items.

The real frustration in this is that manufacturers think this "planned obsolescence" is good for business because you the consumer will say "Darn, it broke, let me go buy another one of this same brand piece of crap."

I have news for the manufacturers, that only works if the consumer got several years of good service out of the product. I remember a handful of products which I remain brand loyal to for a having a history of products that provided years of trouble free service. I have a closet full of brands I refuse to trust because I have been burned by them repeatedly. 90 days is not a good service life for something that you paid good money for. Dead, bright, or otherwise malfunctioning pixels right out of the box on a new product are not acceptable on a NEW PRODUCT. I don't care if you think 3 dead pixels in an inch are the standard for a defective new product, I expect my new product to have ZERO DEAD PIXELS when I just shelled out $3000 for it.

Wake up and use your inner mad to identify your problem products. Avoid them, share the experience, help others stay away. Send a message to the D-bags that keep building them.

Also, sending me a refurbished product to replace my NEW product, is not an option.

Let them have it people, electronics manufacturers are getting out of control, and if you haven't noticed, everything has electronics now. I'm tired of replacing my air conditioner every 2 years (if it gets that far) because the control panels keep burning out... and the TV no one can find replacement parts for, and the home theater with a glitch out of the box, and a red ring of death, and a battery fire, and an engine seizing... this could go on for a while. How does this stuff really make it past quality control?

Oh wait, they "eliminated" the QC department because they cost too much. Show them how much crappy products and bad service cost them.

No comments:

Post a Comment